With decades of experience, Jeff tackles the toughest property cases, consistently delivering favorable outcomes for his clients.
Key relationships count:
Over the years, Jeff has learned that maintaining positive working relationships with assessment jurisdictions is a valuable strength in helping clients achieve an outcome. Jeff has spent years developing his reputation among agencies as an attorney who deals fairly and honestly, but always in his client’s best interests.
In addition, Jeff advises businesses and individuals on sales tax matters, representing clients before the Department of Revenue and the Minnesota courts, and counsels clients on business planning and related objectives. He also works with emerging organizations to structure business arrangements and agreements related to consulting, licensing, product subscriptions, financing, and business formation.
Clients appreciate Jeff’s evenhanded manner in dealing with all parties—especially assessment administrators—involved in legal issues. They also value his close counsel and attentiveness to their bottom lines. Because property tax is one of the major expenses for a property owner, Jeff regularly works with clients in conducting annual property evaluations for their properties, helping to ensure that their real estate is accurately classified and fairly valued. Mindful of the expense of litigation, Jeff prefers to discuss tax issues with assessors to avoid the risks and costs of court action.
If you’d like to address your property tax assessment, or need help with any aspects of property taxation, please call Jeff McNaught for a consultation at 612.578.8455.
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, Section of Real Property, Trust and Estates Law
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Section of Taxation, Section of Real Property
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- American Bar Association Property Tax Deskbook, editor in chief, 2006 to present
- American Bar Association Sales and Use Tax Deskbook, “Minnesota Sales & Use Taxes” chapter, author
- American Bar Association Property Tax Deskbook, “Minnesota Property Taxes” chapter, author
- Conference proceedings and presentations for the American Bar Association, Minnesota State Bar Association, County Bar Associations and the Institute for Professionals in Taxation: articles on developments in Minnesota tax law
- “Property Tax Appeals in Minnesota–A Summary of Recent Tax Court Decisions” Minnesota State Bar Association, March 17, 2014 [ READ PDF DOCUMENT ]
- “Tax Delinquency and Forfeiture,” Property Tax Appeals Conference, Minnesota State Bar Association, January 2013
- “Special Assessments: Are You Getting What You Pay For?” Hennepin County Bar Association, December 2012
- “Recent Developments—Minnesota,” ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, March 2011
- “Statutory Update,” Handling Property Tax Appeals in Minnesota, Minnesota State Bar Association, October 2009
- “Recent Developments—Minnesota,” ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, March 2008
- “Thinking Outside the Box—Creative Applications of Sales and Use Tax Exemptions,” Hartman State and Local Tax Forum, October 2007
- “Current Developments in Property Taxation: Cases and Legislation in the Midwest,” ABA/IPT Advanced Property Tax Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 2004
- “Are Property Taxes in Your Future?” Minnesota Health & Housing Alliance Annual Meeting, Sept. 2003
Editor of The Property Tax Deskbook
Jeffery McNaught serves as national Editor-in-Chief of the American Bar Association’s Property Tax Deskbook and is the primary author of the book’s Minnesota chapter. His relationships with the authors of the book’s other 50 chapters give him a nationwide network of real estate attorneys he can tap immediately when it’s beneficial for clients. The Property Tax Deskbook provides property tax managers, attorneys, accountants, and other professionals the information they are most likely to need to address state property tax issues, planning and procedures.
Contact Jeff 612.578.8455
To reach Jeff, complete the form below or call the number above if you’d like to address your property tax assessments, or need help with any aspects of property taxation.
The Law Offices of Jeffery J. McNaught
201 Ridgewood Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55403
Conveniently located near downtown Minneapolis.